Sunday, December 11, 2011

How do you deal with people who constantly argue with you about your kids?

Silly stuff that gets irritating. For example, my pastor's wife, who wants me to allow my one-year old to wander the halls alone during choir practice, even letting her in the copy room by herself. Or my pastor who wants me to let her wander around the sanctuary alone, even letting her climb up the stage by herself where it is open electrical outlets galore (and yes, she does try occasionally). They don't have kids, and they are both driving me nuts, but his wife will actually argue with me (and continue to argue with me until she gets in the last word), whereas he will not. They also think I am overprotective for not allowing her in the nursery when there are five preschoolers who swoop down on her while the nursery worker (aka, the minister's wife) pays no attention. Someone knocked her over the other day giving her a hug and almost a concussion, too.



Then there is my narcissistic mother-in-law. . .



Argh! How to gracefully handle the situation before I blow up in someone's facHow do you deal with people who constantly argue with you about your kids?
Find a different church? or new mother in law lol? j/k on the 2d...but seriously consider the first one...pastor and his wife are waaay out of line in my book!



but barring those ideas, gently but FIRMLY explain to them your concerns, tell them it is their responsibility as the pastors to honor the ';family';...then say to them that as a parent it is your right to make decisions regarding the wellbeing of your children and they should mind their own business...and then keep your child by your side at all times. Don't put your child in any place where you don't feel comfortable..I don't care who it is. If the minister's wife doesn't like it, then that is her problem.



If there are possibly safety issues at the church, they may be violating a code. Consider making an anonymous report on them to the appropriate city authority...before someone gets hurt.How do you deal with people who constantly argue with you about your kids?
I've heard tell of pastor's wives that don't keep an eye on their own kids, but they tell everyone about how awful yours are- including you. I'm so glad that doesn't happen in my church. Life is hard enough!

Report Abuse


what do you expect from religious fanatics?
Firstly, I would stop arguing. By debating the point with them you are allowing them to make you question your reasoning, rules and discipline.

Time to get a little bit tougher, and start telling others ';that's fine for you, but I'm not doing it';. End of story.

You don't have to be rude. You can be very very polite, respectful of their feelings and opinions, and accepting of their advice. The key is not to follow it.

Nod and smile, say something like ';oh, maybe when she's a bit older I'll let her run around, but for now I think I'll keep my eye on the little mischief maker!';, and stand firm!

Your child, your way!

Good luck, I hope this helps.
Either don't take your child or hold her when you go. Maybe you should take a break from church untill your daughter is trained to behave how you wish.
This is an easy solution....they are your kids! You are responsible for their health, happiness and safety. I would tell them that although you appreciate their advice and concern you will do for your children what you see fit. Good Luck!
Okay, so you need to find a new church these people are not supporting you! Having to have the last word? That is not only immature, but does not sound like a person who should be guiding you in the ways of the Lord. That is just crazy. As far as anyone giving you advice, as long as you are not hurting your child and you are doing things right for you and your child, I would just nod my head, smile, and go along with what I am doing.
Simply tell them, ';I am her mother and mom knows best.'; Tell them that you aren't going to argue with them about it. Lay down the law and tactfully tell them that's how it's going to be.
  • bird
  • make printer work
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment