Sunday, December 11, 2011

What is the best and most polite way to deal with strangers coming up to your infant in public...?

_Just today this worker in the store came up to look at my baby while I was holding her- then she touched her hand -which I wanted to scream at her because my daughter puts her hands in her mouth -she's only 2 %26amp;half months old - I didn't know what to say to her without coming off all mean- so I tried to just get away casually -so I went to put my baby back in her carrier and the lady picked up her pacifier that was sitting in her carrier -though she didn't touch the nipple part -I was still furious -I dont know her and she had no business doing that even if she was trying to help or be nice - I dont know if her hands were clean !!!!-so how do you other mother's deal with such a person???? - as soon as I got away from her I took out a santizing wipe and wiped my daughters hand really good and then put her pacifier away till I could wash it -when I got home I couldn't wait to give my baby a bath!!!!Help-whats the best way to deal with this?I need a sign that says LOOK but dont TOUCH!!What is the best and most polite way to deal with strangers coming up to your infant in public...?
I don't have an infant, but it doesn't take an idiot - one would think - to know not to touch a baby's hands or face without washing hands and not at all if you don't know the baby. If one must touch (which admittedly is almost irresistable) touch a socked toe. I'm interested to hear how people handle this. However, you must do what you can - absolutely. Do not worry about hurting someone's feelings (try to be nice if you can), worry about your baby's health. Do not feel bad, she was the one over-stepping bounds, not you. You are not responsible for that person's feelings, you are responsible for the health of your baby. Of course you also don't want to be a germ freak either! Have a wonderful life with your new baby.What is the best and most polite way to deal with strangers coming up to your infant in public...?
Thank you so much, but do listen to the other mothers. Your child will develop some immunities. You won't have much fun if you are constantly worried.Just wait til he/she starts preschool! Relax and have fun.

Report Abuse



Good for you, in realizing that you might have just had the natural paranoia that goes with motherhood! It's understandable, believe me. And yes, feel free if someone is really nasty. I'm glad you didn't get offended. Have fun being a mom, it's the greatest gift in the world!

Report Abuse



Just politely say, ';Please don't touch my child.';
kick their *** man!! they have no right going around your infant. it may not be the most polite, but it's the most effective.
Scare um off: say something like yes she is cute but im about to nurse her and we need some privacy. theyll leave you alone VERY fast.
Well, I was like that with my first child, every mother is concerned about their childs health, just carry some handy wipes with you in your purse and then you will not feel as though you don't know what to do or be angry. or scared.
I had a similar experience at a museum when my daughter was just a few months old . . . and I handled it by telling the woman to get away from my child. I wasn't nice, I wasn't polite; and frankly, I'd do it exactly the same way all over again.





Am I overprotective? Sure. But there are some sick, creepy people in the world, and parents should NEVER apologize for doing everything within their power to protect the kids.
um......you say......Get Away!!!





If it were my kid and a stranger came up to my kid and touching them all politeness is out the door
its hard these days..
Say, ';Please, don't touch my baby.'; You have every right to protect your child, and shouldn't feel bad about it. Too many people do not wash their hands properly (or at all!).
First off...you should be thankful that your baby causes admiration!





Now, next time, just tell the stranger: ';I hope you haven't handled any money or anything that might make your hands dirty...you see, my baby tends to put her hands in her mouth.';





Any simpler than that??
lets pretend the child's name if becky shout ';becky its time for your chicken pocks medicine';
Firstly, all abies until about 5 are contanstanlty putting things in their mouth, its actually a learning process. A child also gains immunity by doing this to bugs and other things. I definately do not agree that random people should touch babies. I mean you dont know where their hands have been. Myabe keep her arms wrapped in the blanket orjust say shes got the flu and dont want her to pass it on to anyone
just tell them ,she is very sensitive pl dont touch her in case u want to touch her please use a sanitiser,u know i do that.i keep a sanitizer in my babys diaper bag and if someone wants to touch baby first i would offer them sanitiser only then they get to touch my baby.No excuses.Its your baby and what others think matters a shitt for u .so NEVER allow anybody to touch her.
Beyond the bounds of normal hygeine (e.g. handling the pacifier etc) don't be paranoid. Children reasonably exposed to the normal germs in Western Society (short of a flu epdemic etc) develop immunities vital to them in later life. Kids raised in a sanitary dome or bound for trouble. Or so my doctor friends tell me. RELAX A BIT
Well you need to take a chill pill, don't think for one second you have the cleanest hands around, you touch money, you touch door knobs, I bet you don't wash your hands every time you touch something that isn't yours.


Your baby is tougher than you think, she will eat so many things in her life that ';Isn't good for her'; but she won't be harmed at all.


Be grateful you have a beautiful baby that people take notice of.


Relax!!!!
well first, i dont have kids, and i wouldnt feel comfortable with people touching my baby, BUT like other people said, kids imune systems are stronger than you think. but make sure you carry sanitizing wipes with you, and if you dont want them touching, just say something like, i'm sorry, i dont like strangers touching her, no offense. something like that, you dont need to be rude, although, they should know not to touch someones baby,because of germs,and you dont know where they've been, they could have just come out of the bathroom and not washed their hands....UGH! they will still be offended, no matter how nice you say it. some people just dont understand.
This must be your first baby, right? Don't worry so much. It's ok, she's going to be fine. It's actually a good thing that people are doing this. It helps to develop social skills from an early age. I know, that sounds funny as young as she is, but if she's exposed to people early in life, it's not going to be a shock to her. If you feel you must say something, please be nice. Take pride in the fact that people think she's cute and want to admire her, don't be offended. If she's never exposed to germs her immune system will take longer to develop. I let anyone play with my boys from birth on. It's asking to hold them that I have a small problem with if I don't know them. I have let a waitress that my husband and I were familiar with hold them, but that was the only person that I didn't personally know hold them. Most people don't mind, so when people do this, it's not even crossing their minds that you're going to be angry at them. Trust me, I tried the 'washing the pacifier every time it hits the ground' phase, and soon figured it was an endless task. Unless your baby was born with specific health problems, you don't need to be concerned. Enjoy your daughter, she's not going to be little for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment