Sunday, December 11, 2011

Is it wrong or disrespectful to tell your mother that you don't like her?

Since my Grandmother died 2 years ago...my mom has been on an emotional roller coaster. I don't always do things when and how she wants so she gets mad and sends me nasty hurtful letters in the mail, she stopped visiting, she stopped calling over a money issue. I help my mom out when I can, but I have 3 kids and a family of my own. Keep in mind I am the only blood-family that my mom has left. I recently let a water bill lapse that comes to our house in her name. Just an overlook and she got a phone call about it. So, today I am a leech and a parasite. That's what she called me. I've been dealing with the name-calling ever since my gram died (2 years). I Really don't like my mom anymore and I want to sever All ties...any adviceIs it wrong or disrespectful to tell your mother that you don't like her?
Your mother should stop being cruel to you...she can't seem to let go of the pain she had to take on your grandmother's death. I suggest you should go see a therapist with her and spend more time with her. Don't say you don't like her..it'll make her more mad.Is it wrong or disrespectful to tell your mother that you don't like her?
I personally don't like how my mother seems to prefer the rest of the family to me.



I severed all ties by not contacting or responding to anything she sends me or calls about.



Worked so far, haven't heard a peep from her in years.
Mothers are just people too, they don't deserve any special treatment. If you really don't want to be around her then don't talk to her.
Your mom may need medication. She probably just really misses her mother and feels sort of lost. Which is how I felt when my mom died. I felt alone and kinda lost. She may also be going through other things. Try talking to her. Maybe plan a mother/daughter day out and try to talk to her and find out what is going on in that head of hers. Ask her if she would consider going to the doctor. It is definitely a problem if she started being mean only two years ago.
I was advised by a therapist years ago to sever ties to my mother who had extreme mental and emotional problems. My siblings and I suffered most of our lives due to this. We loved her and wanted a mom in our lives, but the price was too high. I established a once a year contact to be the dutiful daughter, but no more. When the letters arrive, trash them. Do not read them. Refuse the phone calls. She needs professional help and until she gets it, this will only do more damage and become worse. Good luck.
Just tell her or write to her - and say unless she is more pleasant you will break ties with her. It`s a bit much tho I think, to break ALL ties with your own Mum - one day, when she is dying or is dead, you might regret it. You might even need her one day.



Just tell her you have enough problems dealing with your own life. You don`t need this extra worry of a mean and nasty name-calling mother.
It's truly sad it has come to this but I'd do exactly what she does to you and write her a long letter explaining everything and even though you understand her sadness over losing her mother, it saddens you that she could do that to you. How would she feel if her mother treated her like this? I'd ask her to seek some counseling and maybe in a couple months you both could sit for lunch and try to talk. I would end with you love her and this kills you but you feel it's in both of your best interests to do this. Good Luck!
It's never okay to tell your mother that you don't like her. But you can tell her, respectfully, that you would prefer not to have any contact from her. Unless you think that you'll be successful telling her over the phone or in person, borrow from her actions and write her a letter. Let her know how you feel and where you stand - without being dismissive or argumentative - and tell her that you don't want to have any contact with her. The least she can do is to respect your wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment