Sunday, December 11, 2011

Would you stop speaking to your parents in this situation?

I have always had issues with my mom and step dad. he makes comments and she lets him. We had issues when i was 17 and after i had sex with my boyfriend of one year my parents flipped out and wanted to get him for rape(he was the same age) the second worst thing i ever did was attempt to make wine but never had a drink of alcohol till age 20 when my boyfriend(same guy) was 21. Anyhow We are now both 27 still together and have a beautiful daughter together but i still can't get a break. i decided to go to school and my step dad made comments about how he didnt think i would make it and just being very cruel and negative but i passed my college math class( going to school for phlebotomy soon) and my mother still supported his comments. so now my sister who is 18 is getting into trouble with them and they are making comments to her about how she's acting like me. So i confronted my mother about it and said i was hurt and wanted it to stop and she got an attitude and said if she is acting like you im going to tell her so. so i got upset and started crying and said this is hurting me can't you see that? don't you care? I have always growing up been made to feel i was the worst person ever being called stupid and other terrible things. So i told my mother i was done. she just said i was a drama queen and i would be back. Im furious but honestly its making me feel better not to have them dragging me down anymore. but my older sister is upset. how would you deal with this type of situation? do you agree with my decision to cut out the negative people in my life?Would you stop speaking to your parents in this situation?
it isnt a one event situation which makes your decision justified. Especially because you actually confronted your mother and she dismissed what you had to say and completely disregarded your feelings - not fair. and now they are doing it to your younger sister. . i dont think i would completely cut them from my life (this is only my decision based on the little facts i actually know!) but definitely reduce the contact i have with them, the only reason for keeping them in my life is maybe because of my daughter but then again, if they aren't positive around her then ur probably right whats the point. It sounds like your partner is supportive, loving and the three of you have a beautiful little family so its not as if your mum and stepdad are your only source of love and support. You also sound like a very intelligent woman who is strong enough to get by without them - especially if you have gotten through everything theyve said and done with relatively little harm and realisation that they are in the wrong and their comments aren't true. Well done - i admire that strength!Would you stop speaking to your parents in this situation?
Agree. Let your parents know the hard way you need a break.
What your parents are doing to you is wrong, you are right to cut them from your life, you don't need nor should you want people in your life who only make you feel bad. Focus on those that love you and support you.
I'd stop speaking to them. Family is very important to me and I'm all about giving people second (third, forth) chances. But it sounds like you've given them chances and they've proven they just don't care. Forget about them. They'll be the ones crawling back in a few years.
sometimes we need to accept our parents are not the people that we want them to be and never will be -you cant make someone care or act the way you want them to. I have issues with my mother that have been going on for 10 years or so at the start I used to argue my point, fall out with her storm out etc but I have now decided the best thing is not to cut myself off from her as I would only be hurting myself - carrying around a feeling of hate or hurt I would only be affecting myself, In the past I had tried talking to her, telling her how I felt but she could never see it from my side so I gave up now I take little to do with her, im not nasty but I dont go out my way with her - when I speak to her I am pleasant I only talk about day to day things and what my 2 year old is up to (she isnt the best grandmother either in my opinion, but again there is no point in telling her this either) I would say I had a superficial relationship with her and it works for me, you have a loving family with your partner and child and other family members, dont forgive or forget the past but move on - Goodluck
I believe you did the right thing by cutting ties from both of your parents. They have not been supportive of you and have only been putting you down and are now doing the same to your sister. From the additional info you gave your mom was even abusive to you. If both of them won't care about you then you did the right thing by cutting off all ties because there is no point in talking to someone if they are just going to hurt you in the end.
I wouldn't be talking to them either. My mom has always been supportive, but her ex was horrible. Told me I'd never make it in my profession. I did though. For your health and your daughters, it might be better this way until they can at least be polite.
there is a point were it needs to stop, but at the same time your mother is right, youll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment