Sunday, November 21, 2010

What do you do when your mother in law is driving you crazy?

She has this weird thing about trying to put her fingers in my daughters mouth every time she see's her. I tried to be nice about it by saying things like, ''Here, let her have her pacifier'', or ''Give her this toy, she likes to chew on it''. I do this every time but the lady still doesn't take the hint. I was talking to her the other day on the phone and told her she was getting a tooth. First thing she said was, ''next time I come over I'll see if I can feel it''. Like I need a second opinion on a tooth. I guess I should just tell her to stop but I was trying to be kind otherwise she'd get all upset. The other week she was going to come over. Around 7pm I called her cause she still didn't show. She said she'd be there shortly. I informed her that my daughter goes to bed by 9pm and takes a bath and has a bottle before doing so. She shows up around 8pm. Stays in the living room while I put my daughter to bed. Continues to stay until after my husband get's off work which it is now 11pm. Talking loudly, playing with the dog getting her to run around and growl. The baby is waking up several times because of the noise and she has the nerve to say ''Aww, is she having a rough night''. I wanted to scream. She takes pain medication due to nerve damage from a broken neck several years ago. This makes her clumsy. She doesn't have the common sense to not try to walk around while holding my daughter. I have to take her from her every time she tries. She doesn't listen when I tell her something. For example, she was feeding my daughter, my daughter is trying to poop at the time and will not eat and poop at the same time. I tell her nicely, ''she's not going to eat while she's trying to poop''. Her response, ''I'm just letting her take what she wants, I'm not forcing it''. Few seconds later, daughter starts coughing and formula comes running out of her mouth. I don't know what my question is other then how do you deal? I don't want to be the evil daughter in law but telling her nicely doesn't work. I'm losing my mind. (I have a longer list of things but this is already pretty long!)What do you do when your mother in law is driving you crazy?
It sounds like she loves being there for you and your daughter. Yes some of the things she does are quirky but I think that it all stems from her affection.


You can either say something to her in a nice way or continue to tell yourself that she just wants to be there for you and your daughter and get used to the idea. I personally would tread very lightly in this situation because she means well.What do you do when your mother in law is driving you crazy?
Oh yeah another fun one she says '; i had 4 and there all still alive'; i wonder how they made it though lmao
This is one of those situations where your husband needs to man up and talk to his mother. More than likely, your mother-in-law has no idea she is undermining your abilities as a mom. Will it hurt her feelings? Probably, but if it bothers you that much, your husband needs to talk to her before it ruins your relationship.
Has your husband talked to her about this? If she hears it from him too, maybe she will be more likely to stop. Also, tell her that she needs to be quiet when your daughter is sleeping, if she plays with the dog tell her that the dog will wake her up. If she continues to do these things, stop letting her be around your daughter. Tell her to respect your parenting.


These things may or may not work, but YOU need to stick with your parenting ways and rules. Sometimes grandparents are like children, if you let them get away with it once, they know they can get away with it again.
OMG!! We should form a CrAzY MoThEr - In- LaW club lol. My mother in law is the same way. She puts her finger in my son's mouth whenever she see's him and it drives me nuts. I mean when me or my husband does it...it's different. But I don't know where her hands have been...and it's just weird anyway. Oh...and she has this like purple pink lipstick and it like stains skin...and EVERYTIME she sees him she kisses him on his face and leaves this purple smear on him. It drives me nuts!! She also has had neck surgery...and uses this excuse to over medicate herself...and she thinks that I would ever consider leaving my son over there...UGH...NO!!! That's a HUGE negative!! LMAO OMG and she's changed his diaper like 5 times and the first time she didn't clean him with a wipey...and I told her nicely...';here's a wipey'; and she was like...oh well, I'm already done I put powder on him. And I couldn't believe it!! She put powder on a baby that had pee all over him. I went crazy. I told my husband that he should say something to her cause I didn't want to offend her...but I didn't want her to think it was ok to not clean him. She's always trying to make me look like the bad guy though. When my husband and I were getting ready to go on our honeymoon...she offered to take me shopping for a few things to take on the honeymoon...like clothes ya kno?...well I picked out two shirts and a pair of shorts...and she was like. Oh...no...you have to get more than that. It's my gift to you....so I was like...wow this is really nice of her. So I picked out a few more shirts and got her opinion on them...and a dress...that she told me looked beautiful on me and then one more pair of shorts. I was sooooo greatful. I told my husband that it was so nice of her...I told my mom that she had done that for me...everyone was like wow...she's really nice. WEll then...she tells my husband...Wow I was going to get you something for your honeymoon...but I didn't realize that Jennifer was going to spend that much money shopping the other day. AHHHHH!!! I wanted to kill her!! AND not to mention...she wore this horrible bright fushia dress that was like all silk to my wedding...when she told me originally that she was going to wear a really lovely gold mother of the groom type dress...She ended up wearing this horrible prom dress type thing and looked a fool!!! UGH!! She makes me crazy!! So just to make you feel like you aren't the only one out there dealing with this...YOU AREN't!!! LOL
OMG my MIL is the same way. Mine keeps asking me if she can have my son, that I can have more and she cant! You will just have to get rude with her. it is hard, but you will have to do it. I feel your pain, Im going through that too. If mine comes over and my son is crying, its automatic, What did mommy do to you? Did mommy hurt you?? All this in baby talk. She even had the nerve to tell him in front of me that his grandma loves him more than his mommy does. that was the point when I lost it. It will only get worse. Speak up now!
good lord, yours sounds like mine - meddling and OBTRUSIVE!





mine comes over every day on her lunch breaks (she works in an office at our apartment complex), regardless if my son is sleeping, breast feeding, being fussy, or whatever, and INSISTS on holding him and jostling him around. I don't know what to do. I told her to it'd be nice to have her over on mondays and wednesdays during her lunch break and what does she do? she comes over last night (thursday) AFTER WORK instead of during lunch and freaking stays for 3 hours.





she also has said a million times before that she doesn't kiss babies in case she's sick. well TODAY when she came over for lunch uninvited, she had the worst sounding wet cough I've ever heard and I wanted to punch her...she's been over every day and she's been kissing him and holding him. doesn't she feel herself getting sick like a normal person? if my son gets sick because she couldn't restrain herself for coming over for a week then I'm going to kill her.





no not seriously, but you know what I meannnn. UGH. anytime someone asks a MIL question on here, I go off, lol. i'm sorry you have a terrible MIL too =\ I don't know what to do myself. if you get any good answers, let me know, haha.
I'm sorry she's driving you nuts! My MIL drives me crazy sometimes too. I cope by calling a friend and venting and then comparing crazy MIL stories.





Hang in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment