Thursday, October 28, 2010

Can you tell me your worst mother in law stories?

My mother in law is paranoid schizophrenic. She is manipulative, liar, she acts like a victim, controlling, etc, etc, etc. She pounds at my door two times a day, every single day. talks bad about me to the neighbors, has slapped my arm, she is MEAN! Anyways, I want to know your stories, does anybody else deal with a paranoid schizophrenic mother in law? How do you deal with it? Is your husband/wife supportive? My husband understands me.Can you tell me your worst mother in law stories?
My mother-in-law was a Paranoid Schizophrenic. We actually moved in with her at one point, when the kids were very small, so we could be close and make sure she was ok. She had just been released from a hospital after the neighbors called the police when she went door to door telling them all that she was the Virgin Mother...Naked. (Swear to Gawd....you just can't make stuff like this up.)



During the year or so that we lived in that house I had so many surreal encounters with her that I could write a book. I was physically attacked by her, she told our daycare provider that I was molesting the kids, she told everyone who would listen that I was a lesbian and I brought women into the house through the basement when my husband wasn't home. She often seemed to be devoting her life to making mine as difficult as possible. We ended up getting the house next door, so we could remain close, but still have some privacy. We had to do something to preserve our own sanity and allow our kids to have friends over without having to worry about what she might say or do.



Before we moved out, I had one especially strange encounter with my mother-in-law. My husband was gone with the kids. He took them out so I could get some rest because I had worked a double shift and I was dead on my feet. So I'm laying in bed sleeping, and some kind of noise wakes me up. When my eyes focus I see 8 police officers standing there with my mother-in-law...all with their hands kinda resting on their guns. I asked them what was going on...and they asked me if I owned a gun. I do...so I said yes. They asked me if the gun was loaded. It was...as an unloaded gun is pretty much useless...so I told them yes. They instructed me to remain still with my hands where they could see them, and direct them to the location of the gun. They got the gun then had me get up so they could talk to me. Turns out that my mother-in-law had called 911 and told them that my husband had taken the kids and left, and I was depressed and had a gun, and she was afraid I was going to either kill myself or her.



It took me a very long time to come to terms with the reality that she didn't have control over the things her mind did. She wasn't making things up. She just didn't live in the same reality as we do. My husband understood it all...and he helped me to learn to see it for what it was and not to take it personally. That's the key to dealing with it. You have to remember that its not personal. They really do think and feel the things they say they think and feel. My mother-in-law died 3 years ago and I miss her very much. There was a time I would have told you that you were nuts if you had suggested that I would miss her when she was gone. But...I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment