Thursday, October 21, 2010

How do you deal with your middle-aged mother?

my mother seems to have gone off the deep end. i'm 27 %26amp; she's 49. she seems to not understand anything i say. she repeats herself. she puts words in my mouth... on %26amp; on.



i love my mom to death! %26amp; my older female cousins have told me that this happens to every mother daughter relationship %26amp; that i should just be nice to her!



how do you deal with your mother going nuts at middle age?How do you deal with your middle-aged mother?
My mother had often given me ';advice';. She tried to put words in my mouth until I had put a stop to this.



I told my mom that ';I'm an adult and I have the right to live my life the way I choose';. Also I had told her that ';If and when I need advice, I'll ask you.';



My mom understood and did back off quite a bit. Now, I will go to her for advice, even when I don't really need it. It helps her feel important and involved in my life.



I am 27 and my mom is 52. We have a good relationship, even though I had to tell her to back off. She actually appreciated the way I handled it.How do you deal with your middle-aged mother?
Is your mother over-protective of you? Mine certainly is because I had a LOT of medical issues growing up.

Report Abuse


i am 29 and my mom is 51, and we have a great relationship. just try to be understanding. your mom can't be young forever. these types of things comes with age. it might get worst as she gets older. so just try to understand.
it could just be a bit of a generation gap right now. however, there's a difference b/t not really understanding each other and her putting words in your mouth. try to make sure she understands where you're coming from and clarify what you mean if she's taking things wrong. don't give in; stand your ground and make yourself heard-with maturity, of course! give it time; as you mature further your relationship with her will change.
Keep a bit of distance between you! She might be menopausal (my mom was, just around the time I got married!), so she won't have the greatest control over her emotions. try to take her rants lightly and forgive her. If she's really nutty, tell her you'll get back to her later, and RUN! She'll calm down on her own eventually.
If you think it is something medically that needs to be treated, then by all means do what you hafta do to get her to a doctor. If is just aging, do what my dghtr does to me. She listens to what I have to say and what needs to be filtered she lets stick in her ears. What doesn't, she said she lets go thru one ear and out the other. Most of all...love your mother and let her know that you are there for her regardless. You will miss her when you no longer have one...more than words can describe.

No comments:

Post a Comment