Thursday, October 28, 2010

How do you deal with your 7 month old attachment to mother in law?

My mother in law takes care of my baby 4 days out of the week; my baby seems more attached to her than to me - how do you deal with this?How do you deal with your 7 month old attachment to mother in law?
thats normal since she is with your mother in law a lot. i had the same issue with my daughter and her first babsitter. it made me feel inadequate, but, i realized that it was healthy for her to have such a close attachment to someone that took such good care of her. spend as much time with her as you can and know that she knows you are her mom and that she loves you just as much if not more! good luck and please dont be down about it :-)How do you deal with your 7 month old attachment to mother in law?
It's really emotionally healthy for your baby to develop a strong bond with Grandma! At least it's Grandma and not some random unrelated nanny!



That said, you will always be Mommy and you are the most important person in your baby's life... even if it doesn't feel like it right now.



Just take the quality time you have with your baby to enjoy each other and bond.
Your baby is going to be attached to whoever it is she spends that much time with. I think you are just experiencing a bit of jealousy that it happening and perhaps some guilt for going to work and leaving her with your mother in law. It is perfectly normal for her to be attached to the person she spends so much time with, but you will always be her mother so just be glad she is being well cared for while you are at work.
You deal with it, yo put baby in her care, now if she is a lunatic there is a problem. this is more an issue of Mommy on the outside than the Mom in law problem.

just get it in your head that for the situation you are in now it is best for her to watch the baby.



You could always spend more time with the baby. one on one when the mominlaw is not there.
That happens a lot when working mother's have to leave their baby with someone else every day, don't worry the older the child gets he/she will know who mom is and develop that bond.
It's normal. My sis works all the time and when she first moved into our house, i had surgery so i was home for 8 days, taking care of her 3 year old daughter and 1 year old set of boy/girl twins (they were 2 and 5mos when they moved in.)



My niece has been desperately attached to me since then. She is the first person to greet me when i get home and always ';helps'; me with everything, just to spend time with me. My other niece actually cries for me if i put her down or ignore her when i get into the house.



My sis isn't concerned, since it takes at least 5 positive role models in a child's life to help teach them and prevent bad behavior.



Find one thing that your MIL does not do with your daughter and set up a date to do it with your daughter. For example, my sis has dinner with her kids every night. She always makes a big deal about dinner, since she doesn't see her babies during the day. She makes sure to feed all of her kids together with her, asks them about their day and breastfeeds the twins. Their bond is still strong, although the babies love me and are with me so much.



Once a week take her to the park. Go to the animal shelter and look at the animals. Make cookies or cupcakes with her once a week. Take her to the salon and both of your get matching pedicures. Set up a movie night where you two watch movies together.



If you do a certain thing together that she really enjoys, she will have at least one day a week where you get home and she is looking forward to spending time with you, because it's special ';mommy and me'; time.
if your baby is attached to your MIL it means she is well cared for. just realize that it is better than her being watched by strangers. many people would love to have a relative who is able to care for their children.



i would deal with it by knowing that as your baby gets older she will probably be attached to you as well. you're her mother and even though your baby seems attached to others, she will always know who mommy is =)



my baby is attached to my mom. he cries when she walks away. it is a normal and healthy thing. enjoy it now, sooner or later she might scream for mommy all the time lol.
Put her in daycare............lol

I had SERIOUS issues when my daughter was about 10 months old. she was very much more attatched to my MIL than me becuase she had her every day.

SO

I enrolled her in a learning center daycare 2 days per week. I, of course, ONLY told my MIL it was because she needed the socialization and I did not want her to go to kindergarden having never been around other kids. she agreed. Truthfully, it REALLY settled the score with us. now MIL has her 3 days per week, school has her 2 days per week, and I haver her 2 full days per week (i am off weekends) and every eveining when i get home til she goes to bed. I get the most time with her and she and I have an amazing bond now.

(single mom, left husband, MIL supportive because her son treated me very badly so she does not blame me)



I know that makes me sound REALLY selfish, but it has helped. My daughter has been in school for 10 months. well, they don't start the learing part til they are 12 months old so she was in the baby room for 2 months and is now in Toddler 1 where she will remain til April. she is a whole new baby. she is smart, friendly, social, says ';thank you';, brings home art projects. she loves her school and I love having her there.



Honestly, I just put her there on a trail basis. If she really hated it, I would have taken her out. I was not going to punish my child because I had jealousy issues. But it has benefited her in countless ways. And she LOVES going. and it has made our bond stronger. she lights up when I come home, she listens to ME more than she listens to Grandma now (used to be the other way around).



when MIL had her daily, it was like the baby always wanted HER. when she was sick, fussy, wahtever. Now she wants me. her favorite word is ';mum-mum'; and she just flys into my arms when i walk in the door. we play, laugh, talk. she is my little buddy and I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment