Thursday, October 21, 2010

What to do dealing with your mother-in-law over a bottle?

My son is almost 2 now and I have been trying to get him off the bottle since he turned a year old. I told her this and advised that he needed to drink out of a cup and he only gets his bottle at night when he goes to bed. But, when I pick him up, I seen bottle laying around, so I knew he continued to get them throughtout the day. I then approached her again to try to reiterate what I was wanted done. But he still got them, then I approached my husband to ask her not to give them to him. He said her reasoning was that by giving him a bottle throughout the day, it gives her a few minutes for a breather. So, still no issue resolved. My son knows too that he gets one from her and know how to work her. I am so frustrated at this point. My husband %26amp; I get into an argument over this all the time and he feels that since his mom is watching her and by giving him a bottle throughout the day to help her, then it is okay. I'm really frustrated at this point %26amp; don't know what to do.What to do dealing with your mother-in-law over a bottle?
If they are your bootles (i.e. you gave them to her while she was watching him) take them back and pack them away. Maybe sit down and talk with her to find out why she is really doing it instead of talking to your husband about it, since that is realy doing nothing except bringing more frustration. Explain to her ways you keep your son calm, maybe it would help her as well if you work together on this issue she should come around to start helping you break him from this habit, the fact that it is really bad for his teeth should make her not want to give it. And when all else fails look elsewhere for child care. I have a lady that works with my schedule and is extremely reasonable!What to do dealing with your mother-in-law over a bottle?
Well, it sounds like you are getting free childcare from your mother-in-law, correct? Thats a pretty tough situation. When you are getting something that valuable for free, its hard to be too pushy- unless you are willing to start paying for the service. Ideally, she would hear your request and just start following it. Since that does not seem to be the case, I think you havew 2 options:

1) Keep bugging her about it. Ask her every day until she stops

2) Take the bottles and throw them away. Then there is no choice except to use a cup

Good luck.
I would remove the child from her care and put him into daycare. Yes, it costs money, but your husband is too stupid for words. Your MIL is deliberately sabotaging with manipulation (clearly, she's in charge). A supportive MIL doesn't do what she is doing. If she needs a break from a SINGLE child of that age, it is likely too much for her anyway.
Our son was cut off at 1yr old. No bottles! My mother also watches my son. She was continuing for a little while after we stopped. I may have gone a step to far but I went to her house and removed ALL the bottles from her house. Problem was solved.
If she needs a breather she can not handle watching your son.

Sounds as if she has not got the energy. Time for you to find another babysitter who can follow orders and keep up with a 2 year old . This is your mother in law and your husband is siding with what is best for his mother then you are not going to win as it's 2 to 1 I would let her know that you have another baby sitter however she is still welcome to see and spend time with the baby.



If your mother in law was free then I guess your husband needs to find a second job or work over time. I am sure that he will be fine with that as he is very considerate and compassionate for his mom how can he be any less for his child.
your mother in law probably doesn't wanna face up to the facts that your baby (her grandbaby) is growing up...she says it gives her a break but any two year old i've known on the bottle doesn't just lay there for a drink they take a drinks for the same amount of time as they would a cup so her excuse of it giving her a breather isn't true...my ex boyfriends mom was this same way...her grandson was three and still used a pacifier only with her...the mother tried and tried to tell her not to use it and finally just gave up and didn't push it...within a short time Ryan gave up the pacifier all by himself...when she would go to give it to him when he was crying or just wanted him to fall asleep quicker he would turn away and say ';no grandma'; he will give up the bottle...just make sure he's not getting a bottle at your house and your showing him how to use a cup and try not to start little fights with your husband such as this...he's stuck in the middle and doesn't wanna be on anyones bad side...be thankfull that the kid is being well taken care of....kids are always spoiled at grandmas house....just take a breather yourself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment