Thursday, October 21, 2010

How do you deal with your mother in-law?

I feel as though my MIL doesn't like me, she's nice to me but it feels so fake a lot of the time. She has made it clear to me on several occasions that her daughter is top dog in the house, she makes sure I know that her daughter gets everything passed down to her and I get nothing, not that I want any of her old stuff anyway. When I go there the first thing she say's to me is 'so and so are grandparents now' and then she'll go off and have a sniffle or a cry about it because she wants to be a grandma but isn't yet. I recently found out that she told my hubby that her youngest son tried to kill himself twice because of me!! Apparently it happened a few years ago before I was married. I don't know if it is true or what I did so bad that he would do this but either way she brings it up now! Then the other day it was my bday and she came over to give me a card and gave me $250 for my bday, I told her I didn't expect to get anything and said thanks and asked if they would like to stay for a cuppa she said they were too busy, its a half hour drive to my house so they made that much effort but not enough to sit and have a drink.

She has already been accousing me of treating her like a second rate grandmother (not to may face she tells my hubby) and we dont even have kids yet, it hasnt even happened, im not even pregnant or anything. But she recons that when I do have kids I wont let her see the baby or visit or help out or anything! When we have had conversations about baby names and stuff she always say gross you can't name your children that when I say a name (even if its a really pretty name) but she'll say thats nice if my hubby says a name even if its a rediculus name and my hubby is just making it up to get a reaction.

I feel so upset about it all at the moment.

Does anyone else have to deal with stuff like this from their in-laws?

How do you deal with it or what would you do in my situation?How do you deal with your mother in-law?
She is jealous of the relationship you have with her son. She may feel that he chooses you over her. Just grin and bear it because if you start saying anything in your defense it may look like you are attacking her. Good luck.How do you deal with your mother in-law?
i just ignore her, and speak when I have to.

Things are strained with her around.

We just take her with a pinch of salt, ha ha
Your MIL is a drama queen trying to stir up a tempest in a teacup.

She is trying to invent drama... and you are not the only person she is inventing the drama about. She is trying to make everyone around her feel guilty for some reason. At some point she will be faking heart attacks like Fred Sanford.



About all you can do is be selective about what information you give his family, and limit your exposure to them. See if the husband can take up more of the slack by visiting her at her house, and maybe taking her out to dinner or lunch... just the two of them... just to make her feel special.
yupppp a lot of mother in laws are like that!

they just feel a bit out of place because the son they invested in so much is now off and married living on his own etc ..and want to continue having that '; mom authority'; they had all their lives

i think as long as your husband understands and treats you well

you have nothing to worry about

if he sides with her ..then i suggest you seee what you are getting yourself into

other then that jsut deal with it best you can ..be nicee even when she is rude

kindness kills enemies
we chose our husbands but not their family, let it run off you. all she wants is a reaction so dont give her one. treat her like a wart annoying but part of life
well you know my situation with mine right now, (you answered my question) my mother in law doesnt or didnt like me because i am white and they are hispanic. she expects the world from my hubby, not once ever lending a hand, he just returned to work after breaking his leg in sept. she never called once to see if we or her ONLY grandkids needed milk or anything. But she just paid her ';babys'; rent and her eldest sons wifes funural. I could go on and on.

No comments:

Post a Comment