Thursday, October 28, 2010

How do you deal with learning that a loved one has cancer?

My mother is at risk for thyroid cancer. Though I've heard it's not necessarily a deadly cancer, the surgery to remove the nodule to lessen her pain has a death rate of 1/2. Her nodule has calcification, but we're waiting to hear whether it's malignant or benign.



How can I brace myself for the news if she has cancer? How do you possibly deal with learning that your mother will either die or be in pain for the rest of her life?How do you deal with learning that a loved one has cancer?
I wish I had an answer for you. My mother was just diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer. It has spread to her liver and bones. I lost my job the same time my mom got sick. I've been taking care of her full time and she is in constant pain. I don't know how to deal with it either to be quite honest. I am with her 24/7 and it's taking it's toll on me. Her mood swings are out of control. I sympathize with her every minute of every day but it's getting more and more difficult. There is no way to actually brace yourself, sorry to say. I've just been dealing with things as they come. It's hard, but some way, somehow, I'm doing it. But if it's as bad as you fear, my advice is for you to be there for her in every way that you can and just shower her with love.How do you deal with learning that a loved one has cancer?
I recently wrote an article on how to deal with a loved on who has cancer: http://www.helium.com/items/12鈥?/a>

Report Abuse


Trust in the Lord. Pray to God about it and don't worry. God has a plan for everything and everything happens for a reason. Keep your trust in God.
';god will provide'; dont worry stand by your mom and trust in god that he will have your mom get better. she will be fine. my grandma had cancer and i trust in god and shes all better. and mostly healthy.



-JAH
Wow Kendra, I'm so sorry. I went through this exact same situation last August. My Mom never told me that the surgery was so risky though I suspected it wasn't as simple as she made it out to be. We were very fortunate that it came back negative! Though it takes awhile to get all the results. And your right that it's not a very deadly cancer, in fact when caught early most people recover from it just fine, and go on to live happy, pain free lives. I also understand that it's really slow moving. Take comfort in this: if you HAD to have cancer, this is one of the ones you would want. crazy i know, but its treatable, its curable. your mom will be ok.
Take one step at a time. One foot in front of the other. Sometimes we have to deal with very unpleasant things.........we get no choice.
when Mum was fighting cancer it was surreal..it was like a journey into a valley that was unknown and dark. so many emotions. advice - one step at a time, pray pray pray so you dont keep any of it inside, trust that God is ALWAYS! in control and He ONLY does what is best. it gets better

No comments:

Post a Comment