Friday, November 19, 2010

How do you deal with your father's mid-life crisis?

Dad is possibly going through a midlife crisis, but it might be more than that. I live two hours away from home at college. My mother %26amp; father called me individually yesterday to tell me that Dad had moved out. Mom called it a midlife crisis as he had started tanning, going to the gym, drinking heavily, %26amp; shaving his back. However, I know personally that Dad had been sleeping downstairs for the past year while Mom continued to sleep upstairs in their bedroom. Dad also got a DUI a month ago on my sister's birthday. He neglected to tell me, when I found out I told him I wanted no contact w/him until he was ready to explain. He never contacted me to explain and missed my collegiate Parent's Weekend. The first contact w/him in 5 weeks was him saying he moving out. His reasoning for moving out to Mom was, he can't drive to work so its easier to live across the street from work in a family owned house vacated due to adultery. But how will he get groceries and all? How do I deal with Dad?How do you deal with your father's mid-life crisis?
Here is what you do: You love him because he is your dad. You continue to love your mother because she is your mother. Do not, I repeat DO NOT GET INVOLVED. Neither of them will take your advice because you haven't walked a mile in their shoes. They know what is best for them, or at least they think they do and if you try to take sides or give advice, you will just make them angry toward you. Then you have shut a door, that will be hard to open. Just Love each of them and go on with life as usual.How do you deal with your father's mid-life crisis?
maybe ur dad needs someone to talk to and who is willing to listen and give him advice.. he doesnt needs to be judge we all make mistakes.. if he didnt tell u about the dui and other things is because communication is poor.. try to understand him he isnt perfect like any of us are.. u heard the side of the story from ur mom .. now listen to his.. its only fair.. but if things were not good a year ago.. then it was time they both went their separate ways.. try to be supportive of both ur parents.. good luck
Well, first of all, realize that this is THEIR problem, not yours. They really shouldn't be involving you in it. It's not your job to take sides or fix their problems, and by telling you, they put a burden on you. Yes, you should know that your father is living somewhere else, but you don't need all the details. If I were you I'd tell them that - especially if they each corner you and start talking about the other. Don't let them put you in the middle. You didn't cause the problem, and you can't solve it.



Second, the thing that really concerns me here is your father's drinking. It seems that these problems come down to that. In that area, I think you can and should speak to him and tell him it seems that he's got a problem and should seek treatment.



Do you see what I'm saying? Your parents' problem is between them, but your father's drinking goes beyond that to affect EVERYTHING, including you.

No comments:

Post a Comment