Friday, November 19, 2010

How would you feel if your mother was jealous of your baby?

I'm 20 years old and the mother of a beautiful 5 month old baby girl. My mother is 40 years old and has 4 children (Me-20, my sister-18, my other sister-7, and my little brother-2) This is a hard subject for me to talk about but lately it has really been bothering me.. I just don't know how to expect the fact that my mother doesn't care about my daughter. When I was pregnant my mother was very supportive (It wasn't a planned pregnancy but I have no regrets- my fiance and I both feel that my daughter was the greatest thing that ever happened to us) She started becoming very jealous when she first saw the nursery.. once the baby was born she seemed happy for a few days but then her true colors came out. She would make comments to discourage me from breastfeeding (I know this sounds crazy but she was bothered that I was breastfeeding successfully). She made comments like ';I'm sick of babies, everyone in the family is having a baby and I don't see what the big deal is';. Whenever I talk to my mom on the phone and bring up my daughter (like the fact shes constantly rolling) she either ignores it and changes the subject or acts unimpressed and says ';oh..'; When she comes to visit, she barely holds my baby.. she analyzes everything I do. She will ask about her feeding habits and when I mention anything (like how she doesn't like applesauce) she will reply by saying ';oh thats really weird.. or thats not normal for her to be so picky';. She never buys anything for my daughter and rubs in the fact that she won't because my daughter has ';too much';. She has never babysat for me and I wouldn't bother asking her - she constantly reminds me that shes sick of kids and will never babysit her grandchildren. All she does is complain to me.. about how tired she is and what not. It becomes very annoying.. like I understand shes tired.. I am too but I don't ***** to everyone I know! She puts down how I dress my daughter, eventhough she dresses nice. All she does is constantly brag about my little brother.. how he dresses so good, how cute he is.. blah blah blah. She says rude things to me that my daughter is cute, but I was cuter at her age.. and its too bad she looks like her father!! I don't understand what her probelm is. She rubs in I'm lucky my fiance is attractive yet she insults how my daughter looks? It bothers her that my fiance is a wonderful father and helps out with everything from cooking, taking care of the baby.. etc. Shouldn't she be happy that her daughter is engaged to a great person? All she does is compare herself to me. I look at how caring, loving, and generous my fiances mother is.. and I don't understand why my mom can't be just a little bit like that. My fiances mother loves to spend time with my daughter.. she even took a week off work to help me out the first week my daughter was born! My mother is also extremely jealous when people compliment my daughter. I don't care that much about the comments she makes, its more of the fact she doesn't take anytime to spend with her only grandchild. She has time to go shopping and other places, but no time to spend a hour with her grandchild? She is full of dumb excuses and is indenial. Everytime I mention to her that I am hurt that she doesn't spend time with her.. she gets the wrong idea and thinks I want her to give us money or buy gifts. Its not my fault she chose to have my brother 18 years apart from me. I babysit my 7 year old sister 3 times a week, yet she doesn't appreciate it.Why is she so jealous of my baby and how would you feel if this was your mother?How would you feel if your mother was jealous of your baby?
honey, your mom sounds jealous to me. I love my grandaughter more than my own life. You can't allow your mom's indifference to your daughter ruin the wonderful days that you should be enjoying with your baby. She is the one who is missing out. She had her life with her children, now you enjoy yours. Maybe, just maybe, she can't accept the fact that she is a ';grandmother';. Let it go and love every second with your baby. Try to limit the negative time talking with your mom 'till she can be more accepting and loving.How would you feel if your mother was jealous of your baby?
Maybe you need to ask her what the deal is. Sometimes people lash out when something is wrong, and what's bothering them is completely different than you'd think. It's posisble she's missing you. Maybe she thinks if she tells you that you're doing a great job, then you won't need her. She might even wish you were still living with her (I'm guessing you're not). She might think if you feel overwhelmed, you'll move back home and she can help.


If you don't feel comfortable asking her what's wrong, maybe just try to start asking her for ';help'; even if it's not something yo ureally need help with. For example, ';Mom, what did you do to get me to like applesauce?'; Then she can feel like her ';little girl'; still needs her.
Future note, paragraphs are very appreciated when you’re writing something that long.





My mom is the type to talk sh!t to other people so I would honestly love her to say something like “Why are you doing THAT?” to my face so I could straight up ask her why she feels the way she does. It’s stupid and unproductive to sit around trying to figure out how and why other people are acting the way they do when you could just ask them to explain themselves.





It’s entirely possible your mom doesn’t realize she’s being a female dog so I don’t think you have anything to lose by tackling this issue head on.
she is unhappy in her own life, she needs to get out do something meaningful in her life.


she should be more polite but she found babies are not the answer to unhappiness


she really needs somebody to show an interest in her.


her job, her clothes, her make-up, anything.


she needs a more fulfilling life,
Im not sure what your moms problem is, it does seem kinda weird though because most moms are very happy and proud when their daughters(responsible daughters that is, which it sounds like you are) have them a grand baby (first grand baby especially, which since you did not mention your siblings having children im guessing your the first to do so). You need to talk to her and tell her how you feel and it is aggravating you and it hurts your feelings that she acts like she wants nothing to do with her grand daughter. maybe ask if just the three of y'all can have lunch one day and y'all can talk about it then. maybe your mom is just having some problems her self that no one knows about, depression maybe idk but it does sound like something may be wrong with your mother for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment