Sunday, November 21, 2010

What do you do when a grandparent chooses not to have a relationship with your child? How do you deal?

My daughters grandmother has made the statement she prefers boys over girls and my daughter is the only girl of four. My mother-in-law makes NO effort to have a relationship with my child. My nephew is 3 weeks younger than my daughter and my mother-in-law has raised him. I have made excuses and told myself he needs her more, but they are now 2 years old and my duaghter does not even know her. I dont know what to do or even how to deal with this. Any suggestions?What do you do when a grandparent chooses not to have a relationship with your child? How do you deal?
Talk to her.

Explain to her that it is really important for a young girl to have someone she can look up to. Offer to bring your daughter over to her house for and afternoon or something like that.

If she says that she doesn't have time or something like that than just ask her to name a date. Be persistent. Tell her that she is the grandmother and it is breaking your daughters heart not to be loved by her grandmother.What do you do when a grandparent chooses not to have a relationship with your child? How do you deal?
tell her to spend time with everyone or she wont get to see any of them
Actually my grandmother always put me down, like at my grad party she asked me what I was going to do next I told her that I was going to go get my medical degree and she laughed in my face and told me that I was an idiot and I wasn't smart enough, maybe she was right. But I haven't spoke to her sence and she is going to pass away after X-mas sometime. I don't know her at all. I guess just tell yourself that you don't care every time she pops in your mind. That's a good way to deal with it.
You can have a heart to heart with her and tell her how you feel, but the woman sounds like an idiot and it will probably go in one ear and out the other.



I am the proud Grandma of a 3 1/2 year old girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment