Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do you politely tell your mother to back out of your business?

Ok.... Here's the deal. My mom and I are VERY close, she's like my best friend. I don't want to hurt her feelings. At the moment, I'm a single mom to a 18 month old and we currently are renting the upstairs apartment at her and my stepfather's house, so we see each other every day.





I have recently started talking to an male friend from high school (graduated over 10 years ago) and we have started hanging out a bit and recently we have started talking every day and blah blah blah. I know my mom is probably excited about the prospect of me dating a really nice guy (my son's father is a deadbeat). I know she means well....................... But it gets so annoying because she'll ask me every 5 minutes, did you talk to him today? What did he say? Are you guys hanging out this weekend? Blah blah blah blah.





It's SO annoying - and then after the 50th question, I get 'snappy' with her and it hurts her feelings. I don't want to hurt her feelings, I love her!!! But I feel like this is my business to work out and if she would just leave me alone about it, I would most likely come to her and talk more.





Any suggestions?How do you politely tell your mother to back out of your business?
Well, the good thing is that you get along well otherwise. And it doesn't sound like she's criticizing you, but rather, she's excited for you and is wondering what's new and how's it going?





I would sit down and talk with her. Explain that it's a new relationship and you're excited too but that she's making you ______. Just be gentle and honest with her and it'll all work out. Throw in how much you love and appreciate her and it'll get better





Now that that's covered, I'm so happy for you, but does he come from a good family? Does he have a job? LOL :)How do you politely tell your mother to back out of your business?
I'm really close to my mum too. If I ever want to nicely tell her to mind her own business, I'll just jokingly say something like, ';Keep asking, but I'm not telling you anything, nosey!'; We have the same sense of humour, so she doesn't get hurt feelings, but at the same time knows not to ask any more cos I'm not up for talking about it.
Take out to a place where it is calm. start discussing general thing and than ask her how she fill when someone get nosy in her business. Base on her answer tell her to stay out of you business. Is you mother a house wife. she might be bored. and suggest an hobby.
Have you tried to just sit her down and explain all of this to her? Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to have a serious conversation with your mom. You might be surprised.
When she asks personal questions, tell her you don't know, you don't know anything about it.
just tell her mom pleas stop i will tell you when i feel like just say it the nice way and remeber she is your mom but tell her she is asking alot and she need to give you your space
just try to make the situation clear to her the way you made it clear to us. talk to her sincerely and if you really love each other she ll understand
Well. First put your self in your moms shoes. If you had a daughter, or even if Johnny was in your position raising a child all on his own with no help from the other parent, you would be thrilled at the thought of him ';talking'; to a female that he may quite possibly find some happiness with. That being said, i do understand your frustration. Just sit down with your mom %26amp; tell her to please not get so excited about everything, that your happy she is concerned about it, but you will fill her in on any new details that come along. :) My mom is the same way though, we're really close %26amp; she is always asking me over and over anytime something is going on in my life. :)
girl i feel your pain and not to down your issues wit your mom but i sure as hell wish i was having YOUR problem with mom rather than her over bearing involvement in my sons life!! ughhh i wanna kill her and yup i love her to death and we too are best friends.. especially since my mom was very young when she had me so we were more like friends growing up!!


so anyway.. she's too controlling and invasive and too opinionated when it comes to ayden... would you rather have your mom telling you what to do with your son and what he likes and how he likes it and things to remember when he's my fxxx-ing son!!!! of course i know all of this and don't need to be reminded every day! ughh i'm getting my self aggravated.. i'm sorry..





with problems like yours i would pry just ';uh huh'; her to death and maybe she'll get the hint!!
Well it is a great thing being close with your mom. You are so lucky to have a mom who loves you and can be close with you! At this point in her life she is looking to be friends with you, instead of mother and daughter, she knows you are all grown up. And her being excited and supportive of you seeing a new man, well that is just her way of letting you know she loves you.





I know that my friends can be kind of annoying when they ask a million questions, but I know they do it because they love me and want the best for me. It doesn't bother me... But since it does bother you...





It sounds to me like you need to just be honest and tell her how you are feeling, or it will create more tension until you say something you don't mean.
How about putting yourself in your moms shoes. I this were your child you would do the same exact thing. It may be possible that your mom sees how much this guy means to you and she is very excited for you. I may be that because she is so close to you and you do share lots with her, that she just wants to feel included or a chance that she is concerned for you and the way life has treated you and her mom side is just trying to protect you. Any one of these can be possible or all because a mothers love comes in many ways, annoying or not. She's your mom and she needs to see that her little girl is protected from to days cruel world.


No you need not to move out, too expensive out here but remember while your under her roof, your life will be questioned, this is called parenting, enjoy it because soon you will have your child wanting and doing things and hiding things that will drive you absolutely nutz !


As far as the dead beat, keep after him. He will see that he will have to pay child support or yes he will be tossed into jail. My daughters father only lasted one day in jail, he has made a huge financial recovery since then. You protect your little one and mom protects you.
I'm sure it can get annoying Chris, but try not to be to hard on her, she wants to see you happy (we moms are like that) and she's excited for you! I'm the same way with my 18 year old daughter...I'm sure she wants to tell me to Hush...I just can't! ;-) Tell your mom you love her but need her to back off a little, tell her you appreciate her love, concern and excitement for you but you need a little privacy. Make sure you tell her that if anything exciting happens she will the first to know! Humor Her! Good Luck Hun!
Well if you guys are really close then I'm sure all it would take is a few kind words from you, telling her you're not really comfortable with all the questions and that you are still waiting to see where it's going with this fella and just want to keep it between the two of you at the minute! Mum's are pains in the butt's sometimes but she'll totally understand!





So whats the story with this guy then! LOL, just kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment