Friday, November 19, 2010

How to deal when your in laws are getting a divorce?

I was just told by my Mother in Law that her and my Father in Law are getting a divorce. I am left confused wondering what I should do. My in laws are both handling things so far at least with dignity, class, and discretion, and I have no reason to believe that they will behave any differently than that going forward. I was wondering if anyone has gone through this could offer advice to me in how to deal with this. My biggest point of concern is making sure that my kids continue to have a great relationship with both of their grandparents going forward. Additionally I would like to be able to remain close to both of them. How does one offer support and compassion without seeming to take sides? I understand that I cannot be in charge of them, their decisions, or their behavior, and that is why I am looking for advice on what I can do or say to help make sure that I am not accidentally getting myself into the middle of something that is not my business. I want advice on how to conduct myself with grace and compassion during this very difficult time for all of us. Tips, insight, advice, an warnings would all be greatly appreciated. Thank you.How to deal when your in laws are getting a divorce?
put the foot down and make then stay out of your business, but tell them in a family gathers so ALL can see/hear it ;)





usually works esp at Thanksgiving dinner table time!How to deal when your in laws are getting a divorce?
I really don't think their divorce is any of your concern. You all are all adults, these things happen in adult lives. It's not a death, it's two adults decision to part ways. How THEY chose to deal and handle the situation is on THEM NOT YOU.
Just try to stay out of the ugly details and remain neutral...as long as your kids see their grandparents things shouldn't change that much...other than gram and grampa are no longer a couple and do not live together anymore. If they are amicable - count your blessings as it'll make for a smoother transition for all.
They seem to being going through it calmly and so are you. I think you need to let them know individually that you care about them both and that they are both the grandparents to your children, so that will never change. They need to know that you are not ever going to pick a side and that your children and you and your spouse will be there for both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment