Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do you deal with your in-laws favoriting their other grandchildren over my children?

I have 4 children ages 4-14. My husbands sister has 2 sons. My husbands parents have shown my kids pretty much no attention since my sister in laws kids came along. It really truly bothers us. My mother in law buys constantly for those boys, but NEVER buys anything for my kids. She sees them every single day, and sees mine about once a month, even though we live 5 miles away! We went over their on thanksgiving, and they pretty much disregarded my kids, and payed most of their attention to the other grandkids, even though they already see them everyday! My husband has talked to them on several occasions on how it bothers us, and how wrong it is to not spend any time with our children, but nothing changes. Just 3 weeks ago my husband called them because my 4 year old was saying that he missed them and wanted to go to their house, and told them maybe they should do something with him that weekend, and they never even called back!! It makes me sick. We just don't know what to do.How do you deal with your in-laws favoriting their other grandchildren over my children?
You need to concentrate on your own immediate family. I sympathize with you but you evidently cannot change them so move on. I would also consider doing something else next Thanksgiving since that is just adding salt to the wound to have to watch it up close happen. The reason I sound so harsh about it is that you wrote that your husband has spoken to them on several occasions. That tells me you have done all that can be done. There are plenty of lonely elders who would love to see your children. Maybe a neighbor, maybe at a retirement home,or one of those senior citizens groups who do day care for children. Its time for you to stop mourning what could have and SHOULD have been, and live some fun lives.How do you deal with your in-laws favoriting their other grandchildren over my children?
OK you wanna tell the whole truth because I'm am sure something is missing here, are you a mixed couple? did your husband do something to his parents awhile back to make them dislike him or you? Are your children well behaved? something else is up here. WHAT IS IT???
Hmmm... so sorry but life is like that. My kids are totally ignored in favour of others. Nothing you can do and it will drive you nuts if you dwell on it. Truth be told I dont like my sisters kids and dont have much to do with them. Best thing to do is to ignore it and move on. Sorry.



and I am reaallly old



Joe
I can completely understand your situation. If I were you, (maybe it's not the best way) I would eventually cut them loose. I won't even go to their house unless it's really necessary.
Moms and daughters have a bond normally when it comes to all of this. Its different because they are her daughter's children. If you are offended over it then you could talk to her, or you could start hanging out with your family. Why is it a contest anyways. I could care less about my ex's inlaws, I have no control over how they behave. As for my soon to be husband's now, family is family and we are all equally annoyed by the inlaws =) I just dont understand the taking of inventory, maybe the mother in law sees it also and doesnt like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment